Jump to content
1. Safety: Rule #1 is your safety. Safety in numbers. Avoid running in isolated spots or in the dark on your own just in case you suffer from a health condition or injury and need help on hand. You wouldn't want to risk being assaulted either.
2. Health: Build up gradually, run for health and keep within your limits. Don't attempt a course or distances that are too much for you. Avoid exhaustion and injury.
3. Experiences: Focus on your goals and personal achievement. Everyone has different capacities and challenges. Reward yourself for each achievement and above all enjoy your health, fitness and experiences.
4. Hydration: Keep hydrated before, during and after exercise to avoid dehydration or heat exhaustion.
5. Apparel: Wear correct footwear, loose and comfortable running clothes and your running cap. Try New Balance running stores. Visit NB website
6. Sun smart: Take care in the sun: SLIP on a top, SLOP on sunscreen, SLAP on a hat.
7. Motivation: Keep up your motivation by making running a part of your lifestyle not a chore. On days your motivation is down (it happens to all of us), make the effort to lift your spirits, go outside, start walking then shuffling. Just put one foot in front of the other. You'll feel much better having done something.
8. Nutrition: Nurture your health with the right sports nutrition.
9. Self awareness: Listen to your body. Notice any pains & strains. Administer sports medicine RICER. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation and Referral. Seek professional treatment if required. Some muscle soreness 1-2 days following exercise is normal. However, strains and injuries should be avoided by not pushing beyond your limits.
10. Smart training & recovery methods: Ask questions no matter how small and do some reading to develop your knowledge and passion further. Try the Coolrunning website or Run for your Life magazine in your local newsagent.